Saturday, June 27, 2009

Just My Imagination (Running Away with Me)

So, I have to say, I have some off-the-wall dreams! I mean, very vivid, imaginative, real dreams. Take last night for instance. I had a dream that my world was full of Simpson characters. Marge, Homer, Lisa and Bart were there, but the rest of the people were family and friends, but in Simpson character form. It was like I was actually living in a cartoon world! Weird. AND we were in the 1800s around the manifest-destiny era, when the white man overtook the Natives land and forced them into reservations. But it wasn't politically charged, it was just life during that era. It appeared we were all living in Montana and I was the school teacher. In any case, a very weird dream.

But my imagination never ceases to amaze me. Maybe I'm just overly creative and emotional, but I always have vivid dreams just as I am waking up, and a lot of times I'll wake up mad, angry or sad because the dream seemed so real! For instance, I had a dream earlier this week that my Dad died and at the funeral, everyone had a significant other to comfort them besides me. And I remember waking up crying because my Dad was dead and because D wasn't there (he did NOT have a good reason for not appearing in my dream). That kind of thing happens more often than not, and I am usually emotionally shaken by the events. I was upset with D that whole day because of what he did (or in this case didn't) do in my dream! It's like that Ben Folds song, Trusted: "The sun's coming up she's pulled all the blankets over/Curled in a ball like she's hiding from me and/That's when I know she's gonna be pissed when she wakes up/For terrible things I did to her in her dreams."

Most of all, I wish I could capture some of these dreams on paper, because they would make some great stories. Alas, by the time I wake myself up, the details have become hazy and I can't remember why it was such an amazing story, just that it was. Maybe as my second career I can tap into my creative genius and publish some of these stories. In high school, I used to do a lot of creative writing and story-telling. Maybe this is my creative genius telling me that it's time to start again!

2 comments:

  1. last night I dreamt that a wolf was chasing me. SO I went on a ski lift to get away from him. He jumped on the ski lift and then it turned out it was a man dressed up as a wolf.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i heard that it helps to keep a dream diary by your bed ... write down the dream as soon as you wake up, and apparently that is supposed to make you more aware of your dreams, so eventually you remember them better! :-) and then you can look back and see if any came true!

    ReplyDelete