Friday, June 5, 2009

Excited About Work?

Well, it has been a crazy couple of weeks. But exhilarating, because I am doing exactly what I want to be doing. Last week was press week, meaning I had to edit and finish writing all the content for the next issue of my magazine, Volta Voices. The week was full of long hours and scrambling, because our cover story pulled out at the last minute. Besides the rage about that, the scramble proved to be a lot of fun. I've never really been interested in quick, last-minute deadlines, but every so often the pressure of a looming deadline really appeals to me. I would have never chose to be writing a new cover story three days before the press deadline. But at the end of the week, I was glad the opportunity presented itself. It proved that I absolutely love the editorial life. Editing, writing, working with other writers, coming up with design concepts, all really fun. I'm so grateful that I have found my career calling and am able to be successful.

I worry, though, because I am planning a move to an area where this kind of work is under appreciated. In addition, a new country means new vernacular that I'm not used to. How can I maintain this level of success when I feel I am starting from square one? One of the things I think I can do to help prepare is brush up on my corporate communication skills. Press releases, policy writing, etc. I hate that stuff. But it's something I'm going to have to force myself to do to help prepare. I'm not sure why I'm so worried, but I hate being blindsided by things I can't control and, even worse, things I COULD control and didn't see coming.

So, to force self-improvement upon myself, I am heading back to the job boards. I am looking for work, part-time freelance stuff, that can supplement my portfolio and help me improve my writing skills. Hopefully, the transition when I leave my current job will be quick and painless.

No comments:

Post a Comment