Sunday, February 27, 2011

Food Fun Day

For those of you who know me, it comes as no surprise that I love to cook. I love food, I love trying new things, and I love making them too! Now that I have my kitchen back, the archives of fun food experiments I've been mulling around in my mind can finally be attempted. So, Friday night I made Lobster Spaghetti. I was looking for a way to enjoy pasta without a pasta sauce. And I have to say, it was delicious! Here's the recipe and some pics:

1 package SeaQuest Lobster Pollock (you can substitute any meat here, or add pine nuts or sliced almonds instead)
1 can diced tomatoes (if you cut fresh tomatoes, make sure you save the juices)
1/2 pkg of fresh spinach
Misc vegetables - I had asparagus, mushrooms, bell peppers, chives and onions on hand. Use whatever you'd like to for your tastes, just make sure it's fresh and not frozen.
3 cloves garlic, minced
Spices to taste
1/2 pkg whole wheat pasta

In a large skillet, cook spinach in about 1/2 tbsp olive oil until it looks just wilted (it's not, but fully cooked). Set aside. In the same skillet, add 1.5 tbsp of olive oil, vegetables and minced garlic cloves. Cook at medium heat for about 5 minutes or until soft. Add in pre-cooked meat (the lobster was pre-cooked. If using raw foods, cook those first before adding the vegetables. You can still use the same pan). Cook for 1-2 minutes, then add in can of tomatoes with juices and leftover olive oil. Cover and lower heat. You'll want to let the water of the juice reduce, this can take about 15 minutes.


While it's simmering, bring a pot of water to boil, adding in a little sea salt. Cook pasta noodles for about 6 minutes, or until al dente (read the package, each noodle is different). Drain and set aside.

You'll know the sauce is ready when it begins to thicken and seems less liquidy. Put some noodles on a plate, a layer of spinach, and then the sauce. Top it off with a layer of cheese. I like to mix it all together before adding cheese, but that's really a preference.


For a health garlic bread, we spread margarine on top of sprouted-grain bread and sprinkled garlic salt on top. Under the broil setting, I set it in the oven for about 2 minutes, took it out to add cheese and stuck it back for another 3. Our bread lives in the freezer because we don't eat it often, but if it's not frozen I would add the cheese before cooking and just watch for it to be crispy.

Let me know if you try it, and what you thought! D loved it, and I think it will be a staple for us.

1 comment:

  1. Yum. Definitely trying this! Of course, I'd rather be cooking it WITH you, but someone had to move away to a place that makes her happy. Some people.

    ReplyDelete