Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Melancholia!!!

So, I was ready to write a blog about how crazy I feel, how I'm freaking out about moving because I haven't actually done anything yet and how I'm worried about jobs because I have zero leads and the consulting work with my current company seems to be falling through. Then I thought about the word "melancholia" and this is how Webster's dictionary defines it:

A mental condition and especially a manic-depressive condition characterized by extreme depression, bodily complaints and often hallucinations and delusions.

Huh. That's not how I feel AT ALL or what I thought the word "melancholy" meant. So I looked that up. Again, Websters:

A depressions of spirits; a pensive mood.

Ok, so how can pretty much the same word be defined so differently? It made me laugh and definitely lifted my spirits. Only I would be lifted by the intricacies of the English language. Nerd.

No comments:

Post a Comment